Friday, March 1, 2013

BLOCK OF THE MONTH: C IS FOR CONTRARY WIFE

"THROUGH THE ALPHABET"
A twenty-six month Journey

Dorothy Young, owner, of the yahoo group "A Pocketful of Mysteries"
 is presenting her Block of the Month quilt series. It began in January 2013,
and will continue for the next two years.
The yahoo site for this is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apocketfullofmysteries/
It is not too late to join in.  This block and the other two are at the beginners level.

It was so exciting last night when I went to turn off the computer.  Dorothy had posted two hours before midnight EST on February 28. The new BOM was sitting there for me to do.  Alas I was tired and decided it could wait till morning.  I would've laid awake worrying about making it but we had a life happening to take my mind off it.

We had the feral cat, who has been getting free lunches on the front porch for the last 2 years,  decide he didn't want to eat in the snow anymore.  He invaded our space.  We have five house cats who always watch when we put his food out.  In a flash of fur and the cacophony of hisses and growls, helter skelter broke out.  Needless to say "Piecing" at that point was not even a glimmer in my eye.

The first thing I did when Hunny went out the door was grab the camera and head to the cutting table.  I cut the fabrics and began to sew. Including setting up equipment and cutting and ironing, the two blocks took me an hour to make.  If they had both been out of the same fabric you could knock off 20 minutes off the time.

This is my block from my constant fabrics.  I was going to use a different medium color but when I saw the block I knew I wanted it in the red.
 I don't know if I have mentioned it before but I don't like paisleys and I am not fond of red.  To see the fabrics uncut they are in this blog.
http://gloriouscreations.blogspot.com/2013/01/block-of-month-is-for-antique-tile.html

Next it was construct my friend's block.  I can't wait to see what she has in store for us.
 (She is making identical blocks for herself).
This is my block for her.
In the Antique tile block I used burnt orange, this time the green of the leaves called out.  I wish I had used the same fabrics for both of us.  I miss being able to see hers all together.  After I mail this off, I won't see them.  I really like the colors these civil war reproductions have.  I hope the preview  of her block is to her liking.

My Friend's block arrived today. I love it.

While I was filing my block pictures in the computer I came across this block picture.  I had totally forgotten about it.  For three years I hosted a BOM for my guild.  Each month a block kit was supplied and each person who wanted to participate bought a block and brought it back to the next meeting finished.  It was their lottery ticket to winning all the blocks.  "Contrary Wife" was one of the quilts.

12" BLOCK I USED FOR MY GUILDS EXCHANGE
If you are still reading and a beginner quilter I encourage you to try this BOM.  Dorothy gives complete and easy to understand directions. 

Things to remember: 

Use your 1/4 inch foot if you have one (if you have an older machine that has a snap on foot, Janome makes a foot that works with your machine).  If you don't have access to a 1/4 inch foot you can use a stack of "post-its".  Remove the bottom one and use the "glue" surface to attach it on the machine with the edge 1/4 inch from the needle on the right hand side.  (Your presser foot might be in the way so you will have to position it in front of the foot.)  Another thing that works is a piece of the paper tape, the one you paint with to keep a nice edge.  The tape doesn't stick to your machine afterwards.  The only draw back to this you don't have a raised edge to guide your fabric against.

Secondly:  press the direction shown.  It helps your seams nest and your block fit together smoother.

Third:  Press not iron...don't go back and forth on your block pieces, you will stretch them out of shape.  There are several feelings about the use of steam. I am a steamer.  I have found if you have some pieces that are stubborn about fitting together you can steam them into submission.  

I know there is probably some more  important do's and don'ts but I don't want to discourage anyone from beginning a quilt.  Even if you have never made one, if you can stitch on the machine the interent is filled with how to information.  All you need is the initiative.  BTW..you don't even need to buy fabric.  Go to the old clothes pile and pull out shirts and dresses that are 100% cotton and cut them up into the fabric you need.  (Make sure your "fabrics" are wrinkle free before you cut them up.)

 
Join us in this 2 year journey. There are several hundred friends taking the trip
The following, are blogs written each month on my journey through the alphabet.
 

Other blogs by me:

Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.


blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry
blogs Seeds sprouting, insects, and garden pictures

Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle

All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission

No comments: