Friday, March 22, 2013

SQUARE IN A SQUARE: A TABLE RUNNER FOR YOU

 New Added March 23, 2013
What can you do with a square-n-a-square block?  After I wrote the two tutorials on the techniques I wondered what is everyone doing with the samples. My thoughts required me to make a couple more samples.  The block I made from the samples ended up 12 1/2 inches square.  I made the samples with scraps I had laying around.  I wondered how it would work if I planned a project for the scraps.  I went to the fabric closet, no color way on my mind.  There, laying on top of a shelf, was shamrock fabric.  St. Patricks day was coming up.  I thought, I'll make a table runner, a surprise gift for a friend.  I'll have time to get it finished and in the mail.  I finished the runner and sandwiched it. Then prepared the machine with the walking foot.
Using the samples from these tutorials I made the above block.
 
Before I quilt anything I make a small test sandwich of the fabrics I am using.  I test it on the machine to check the tensions and stitch length.  On the first run through, the walking foot had plastic fatigue.  I thought no big deal I'll just have Hunny pick a new one up.  The next day I let my fingers do the walking and didn't find a shop with a generic one for my Janome (the Janome rep is way out of the way).  It took 3 days before I found a shop with one.  By that time it was too late to finish the runner and get it in the mail.  It will still be a surprise but she will have to wait a year to use it. 
 
This is the table runner I designed using only Square in a Square blocks.
(Not finished yet but you get the idea).  I'll post a finished picture when it's done. 
I had to post, I couldn't wait to show you.
 The shiny objects are the pins for the sandwich.
March 23:  I forgot to mention;  There are (12) 1/2 square triangles which are 2 1/2 inches square from the large "square n a square" block.  I used the method in the "Bonus Block" blog.  No plans yet for them, but I will probably incorporate them in the back.  Probably in the label.
  
 New Article on my blog: 
"A MYSTERY IN THE MAKING"
A mystery quilt designed with the novice in mind
 
Other blog sites by me:
 
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.
 
blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle
New Blog:
 
All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission

1 comment:

maggie said...

Dear Gloria,
THAT is one pretty table runner my friend. I love the shamrock fabric. Well done. Wish that we lived closer so that we could sew together.
Love
maggie