Sunday, April 7, 2013

BLOCK OF THE MONTH: D IS FOR DOUBLE FRIENDSHIP STAR

"THROUGH THE ALPHABET"
A twenty-six month Journey
 
Dorothy Young, owner, of the yahoo group "A Pocketful of Mysteries"
is presenting her Block of the Month quilt series. It began in January 2013,
and will continue for the next two years. The yahoo site for this is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apocketfullofmysteries/
It is not too late to join in. This block and the other three are at the beginners level.
 




 
This block is very apropos for me.  I am doing this BOM as a block swap with a very dear friend.  Once a month she is my top priority.  She is on my mind and she is helping me take time for myself and the craft I love.  I want to thank her for  this and taking time to make me a block which will be one of twenty-six which will become a quilt I will treasure.  It will be a quilt made with love for me.  This is the block I have made this month for her. "The Double Friendship Star".

I am on a trip right now to Denver.  I knew I wouldn't have time to stitch the blocks, I pre-cut the fabrics and brought them with me.  When I am not with my family I am working on quilting projects.  I am still sticking with the constant fabrics I chose in the beginning.  It looks like the red has also become a constant.  I have been trying to think about a setting arrangement with each block we receive.  I think oh, this is the setting I want and then the new block changes that idea.  It looks like this BOM will be an evolutionary process in more ways than one.  This is my block.
I am home now and I was putting away my projects.  I noticed the paisley in the right hand corner of the block made an interesting addition.  I was wondering if I could fussy cut and use that design to my advantage.
 

I remembered when I was using stripes, I made the stripes add interest to the block.  This was the same idea.  The following is the block I made using the paisley to my advantage.  I also changed the center to add a different perspective to the block.  The paisley designs are all focus to the center .
I can't wait to see what my friend sends me.
 
 
Join us in this 2 year journey. There are several hundred friends taking the trip
The following, are blogs written each month on my journey through the alphabet.
 
Other blogs by me:
 
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.
 
blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry
blogs Seeds sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle
 
All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission

No comments: