Monday, February 13, 2012

HUSBAND'S SIMPLE GIFT

I had to write in to tell you, the below slippers are now re-soled.  This last week of March, 2018 the holes in the bottoms were too big to be ignored.  He loves the so much he was wearing them anyway.  I had a pair of jeans desperately seeking the rag box and thought, denim wears like iron.  I traced around the sole on the back of the leg fabric.  pinned the slipper sock to it and zig zagged around it.  then I cut it out just next to the stitching.  It was a breeze and I didn't  have to alter anything to apply it.  The old torn sole is inside adding a little cushion to the slipper.   The first ones lasted since 2012,  6 years!

I am lucky to have a husband who is very easy to please.  He delights in everything I do for him.  Years ago I was in Walmart.  I always peruse their clearance isle for anything from little gifts for the grands to stuff for the garden.  This day I found fleece slipper socks.  They were in outrageous pink and blue stripes and they were in an extra-extra large size, but they were only 50 cents each.  I bought 5 of them. 

Hunny never wears slippers and his feet are always cold.  He says he hates having any kind of shoes on when he comes home.  He saw the socks and put those huge things on and was in feet heaven.  The socks are showing wear and developing holes. 

This story is turning into a saga.  This week we have been overrun by mice seeking shelter from the cold.  Where they are getting in I don't know.  I am sure they knew this was a fabric hoarders house and they could find adequate housing.  Sure enough before they found their last meal some of them found the fleece.  It wasn't a large piece but it was a nice piece.  They shredded it in several places, harvesting nesting material. 
I ended up with several usable, albeit smaller sections.  I wondered if they would make good footies.  I retrieved one of Hunny's socks and made a pattern.

I sewed the pieces together with a zigzag stitch on the outside so the seams wouldn't rub his feet.  In two shakes of a sheep's tail I had new foot warmers ready to wear.  I am going to measure my foot and see if I can create a pair for myself.    The only thing this pair is missing is the elastic on the top. 

The new version.


Other blogs I write:
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets 
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.

blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry
Blog about Spartan Arrow Beans.

All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own. 
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .  Please do not copy without permission

No comments: