Monday, January 4, 2010

CHOCOLATE CAKE: 3 WAY DELIGHT

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE

I am not a user of boxed mixes. Before this recipe I only used a boxed mix for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. This recipe was served to me after a scrumptious dinner. I was an immediate convert. I couldn't wait to get home and make my own. This cake besides being delicious also stays moist and fresh for at least a week.
The picture above is the cake made in a spring form pan. It required parchment on the bottom and sides with lots of Crisco greasing it. (yes, there is a time and place for shortening). I have also made it in a bundt pan, 9x13 pan and as layer cakes. Each pan took different cook times and gave a different textured cake. So far I prefer the springform. The cake had a more fudgy/brownie consistency All the cakes took much more time to bake than recommended. I started checking for how done they were at 30 minutes. The springform took by far the longest. I had to lower the heat to 300 the last 15 minutes to get the center done. (when the sides were pulling away and appeared done I lowered the temp.) I wish I could give you an exact time, but the difference of ovens and pans make it impossible.
INGREDIENTS:
 
1 box of the most chocolate cake mix you can find
(It does make a difference, the German Chocolate mix makes a very dull cake)
 
1 box of INSTANT chocolate Jello pudding (there is a fudge chocolate if your store has it)
(brand makes a difference in taste)
 
1 (12 oz ) bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.
(If you like the flavor and texture eating them out of your hand they will be great in the cake. Do not use them if they feel waxy when you eat them. Some store brands do.)
One and 3/4 cup of milk (room temp)
2 eggs (room temp) beaten into the milk
 
2 teaspoons vanilla (in the milk/egg mixture)
 
1. Prepare your pans, use parchment or waxed paper on all pans except the bundt pan. The parchment and waxed paper still requires shortening to grease the paper. The bundt pan needs Crisco on the heavy side in the creases and then take cocoa and use it like flour to dust the pan with. Preheat the oven at 350 F.
 
2. Use a whisk (or your mixer) to mix the cake mix and the pudding mix together. Then add your liquid ingredients. Do not be tempted to add more liquid. This is a very thick batter. Beat on medium for about 2 minutes. (I add the wet ingredients in a gradual stream as I am beating)
 
3. Fold in the bag of chocolate chips. Pour into your prepared pan. Give the pan a sharp rap on the counter to knock the air bubbles to the top (might need a couple of raps...lol)
4. Put into your preheated oven. When time to test happens...most cook books say use a tooth pick. I use a very sharp, very thin bladed steak knife. The chocolate chips melt and seem to cling to the toothpick giving you the impression the cake is not done when it is...the thin knife seems to slide right through the chips and cake when it is done...there is also the press in the center test which helps let you know when it is close. Like I said...the most difficult thing about this cake is judging when it is done.
 
This is CHOCOLATE IN THE EXTREME, enjoy.
 
 
 New Article on my blog: 
"A MYSTERY IN THE MAKING"
A mystery quilt designed with the novice in mind
 
Other blog sites by me:
 
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.
 
blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle
New Blog:
 
All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission


No comments: