Wednesday, December 22, 2010

COOKIE TIME IS ALL THE TIME

I went to look in my past blogs and discovered I had featured "My Favorite Cookie" in a previous blog.  I kid you not, that is the name of the recipe in the cookbook.  It has become a family favorite.  This link will get you to that blog:


I do have other cookies that are favorites and the following one jumps to the head of the line, right behind the above cookie.  I usually make them both at the same time because they are refrigerator cookies.  I make one day, then bake the next.  This recipe was right next to the other recipe in the book.

I found these recipes years ago in "The American Family CookBook"  Compiled by the Culinary Arts Institute in Chicago.  It was published first in 1971 (I have the 1974 edition)  Catalog card number 71-158818.  I recommend looking for this book in garage sales and resale places.  I have found so many great recipes in it. (My favorite herb bread is from here also. Recipe is in a previous blog)

December 3, 2011, Hints:
I have been baking some of the cookies and it occured to me to pass on some hints which I have remembered during this endeavor. 
If you have a convection oven and are using it inconvections mode lower you temps 25 degrees.
Turn your pans at least once during the baking ad exchange the shelves they are on.

"Coconut Classics"

1 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
2 cups grated coconut
1 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2  teaspoon baking soda

1.   Cream butter with extract; add sugar gradually, beating until fluffy.  Add beaten egg and beat well.

2.  Thoroughly blend in 1 3/4 cup coconut.

3.  sift flour and baking soda together; add in fourths to the creamed mixture, mixing well after each  addition.

4.  Knead lightly with finger tips, 5 - 10 times, until the mixture holds together.

5.  Shape into six 1 inch rolls; coat with the remaining coconut; wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 3 hours.  I do mine overnight (i put all 6 rolls into a plastic bag even though they are wrapper in waxed paper.

6.   Cut each roll into 1/4 inch slices; place 3/4 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. (you'll need a very sharp knife) 12-03-11: I use parchment.  (It isn't necessary but the cookies are very fragile when hot and it makes it easy to pull the sheet of them off the tray and onto the cooling racks.  they cool and are easy to remove after cololing.)

7.  Bake at 325F for about 15 minutes 12-03-11 check 1/2 way through the baking and rotate the tray.

It says it makes about 18 dozen cookies...I don't think I got that many

Wishing everyone the Happiest Holiday and a New year filled with love.



 New Article on my blog: 
"A MYSTERY IN THE MAKING"
A mystery quilt designed with the novice in mind
First Clue to be presented October 16.
 
Other blog sites by me:
 
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.
 
blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle
New Blog:
 
All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without

No comments: