Monday, October 22, 2018

MYSTERY QUILT BLOCK CHALLENGE: Block one part one

If you are unfamiliar with this internet challenge I hope you will see why I am here.
The following link is your passport to quilting...(at least I hope this is the right link).


The first thing you do when beginning a mystery quilt is to pick your fabrics using the list of requirements.  For me, this time was more difficult than normal.  I am unable to get to my stash so I had to use what fabric was already at hand. (I won't order online...I am one of those people who has to feel and see.  I don't trust my monitor's colors.)  On the left are the fabrics I have chosen.  I only had enough yardages to do the lap size version.  This is another thing in mysteries.  you are able to choose the size of project   you want to work on.





A date is set when you'll receive your instructions.  It can be monthly or weekly.  When you get your instructions read them through ...top to bottom ...before you cut your first piece of fabric.  This is the results of the first installment on the mystery.  I made two versions of the first part because I was unsure which fabrics I wanted in the  center of the block.  My two greens are very close in value.  








I chose this block because of the light flowery feel.  The one above will be a pillow sham to go with the quilt.









When I began construction of this first part I knew I wanted to harvest 1/2 squares from the flying geese.  Toby's instructions do not include the method the squares.  
This is how I made my bonus 1/2 squares 
(the pictures and script are from another blog I wrote):

 BONUS, HALF-SQUARE TRIANGLES:







With a little extra stitching, 
and time, you’ll have a pieced unit to use in another project,salvaging fabric which would normally be wasted. 





Stitch 1/2” away from your previously stitched seam: then press the triangle back to the “ outer point”.  Pressing back to the corner is very important to do before you trim between the two seam lines.  Stitching ½” away results in a bonus ½ Square triangle.  Be careful when you trim the half square triangle off
(cutting between the two seam lines)   that you don't cut your triangle off the front of your unit.





These are the harvested 1/2 squares from part 1  of block one.  I have made them into wheel blocks.  The red ones will be 2 inches when trimmed and the green ones will be 5 1/2 inches when trimmed.  Now I have some orphaned blocks instead of trash fabric.
  

They will probably be incorporated into the finished mystery quilt (maybe in the backing.)

If you indulge yourself in this mystery here are some sites to help you:
The designers blog: This is about the first part of the mystery with techniques for successful piecing of the bloc...and the flying geese units.


Tips on Block one Construction from the group leader Ashley Hough:



I am headed to work on Part two !


more blogs by me:
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.

blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle

Chronicling our adventures with a dumped Pit Bull Pup,
 who has become a hidden treasure.

All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission

No comments: