Tuesday, March 3, 2015

REPAIRING CLOTH WEBBING STRAPS

You can successfully repair the cloth webbing straps on suitcases, purses, etc.  I recently had a reason to repair a couple of items.  We had a dog whose desire was to chew lots of things.  Her favorite chew item was handles.  Purses and suitcases, if they could be reached, were favorite targets.

I didn't throw out the chewed items because they had cloth webbed handles and I thought I could replace them.  A couple of months went by and still no repair and the new puppy came into the age of chewing and she chewed through her leash.  (It was hanging from a door knob, easy to grab for the outside trips.)  Necessity is the mother of invention (I knew that leash would be needed with in the hour).

I laid the leash on the counter, next to a bag of onions.   The light bulb went on.  I could try the webbing of the onion bag.   The sewing machine is always up, it was change the 1/4" quilting foot to the zigzag foot and put in a size 16 needle.  

I trimmed the edges of the chew so they would butt against each other.  Then I zigzagged over the join a couple of times.  This didn't feel stable at all.  A pit bull pup will pull that apart in no time.  I cut a strip of onion bag net and wrapped it around the join twice and then I zigzagged lengthwise on top of the onion bag webbing.  It worked wonderfully, it was nice and strong.  

I went to retrieve the camera bag with wide straps and tried it on the camera strap.  It worked even better than on the leash.  (It was wider and you had more area to add strength.)

I have a stash of all sorts of bag nettings, finding a color which would match nicely wasn't a problem. Using the nettings for crafts is neat but it 's nice to know they are great for useful things too.  I also save used dryer sheets, and used shout color catcher sheets.  

more blogs by me:
http://glosgarden.blogspot.com/
Where I have stories of my cats and other pets
a blog about my courtship with my husband,
and a blog about my most embarrassing moment.
A "Soap box" blog where I do air my opinions.

blogs about the wildflowers on our farm
Organic methods we use, some cooking and some poetry,
blogs about Seed sprouting, insects, and garden pictures
Blog about an endangered beneficial beetle

http://pitbulladog.blogspot.com/
Chronicling our adventures with a dumped Pit Bull Pup,
 who has become a hidden treasure.

All recipes, pictures, and writings are my own.
I give credit for items which belong to other people in my blogs .
Please do not copy without permission

No comments: